Sunday, August 26, 2012

Surprise, Surprise........


Hello everybody...... late this afternoon I took a walk around the garden and found a couple of surprises.
It's been a somewhat chilly weekend here and a busy one to boot.

There's been coffee out with friends, soup making,a BBQ and a bonfire and No. 1's last gig before we head off at the end of the week.

It was nice to have some time to enjoy the beauty that is unfolding daily.




The Kale which I planted quite a few weeks ago, has started to put on some growth.
I thought the frosts may have finished it off, but it has survived..



In the 'plant pot graveyard' there are a few 
Grape Hyacinths bravely putting on a display.

This is the last year..... they're going into the garden by the Daffodils when they finish flowering.

I love the blue......


The Manchurian Pear is now in full flower and the leaves are starting to pop out here and there.......
On a sunny day a hum of bees busy themselves amongst the blossom.


It is a beautiful shape and quite a  size now.
I don't have the heart to chop off the lower branches.....
But it would certainly make mowing around it easier!!
The chooks enjoy scratching amongst the fallen leaves...
plenty of tasty treats to be found.
3 metres away there is another tree of the same variety and it has only just come into bud!




The flowering Quince is quite a tangle of branches and thorns but the beauty of the blossom seems to go on and on and on......


A skeletonized leaf...
delicate and beautiful in it's decaying state



The first surprise I found was this Hellebore.... a birthday gift to hubby.
 It was planted rather late and I didn't expect it to flower this season but it has settled in nicely and obviously quite happy living in the Wild Wood.
The markings are amazing.
 Next season we should get to enjoy quite a display from it....


Surprise number two...

What is this little plant?

From a distance I thought it was a weed but as I got closer I realised that it was actually a Bluebell....yes it certainly is.

 I  bought some bulbs some time ago and they sat on the laundry bench for quite a while.....till one day I managed to drag myself away from the sewing machine and out into the garden.

They were planted in the Wild Wood where I hope in time they will spread and create a carpet of blue.

Tough little plant that's for sure.




There are bunches of Jonquils yet to be picked and enjoyed before I go as they will have finished flowering by my return.

The pale, creaminess of the flowers and their perfume is divine. 




Surprise number three.......at first I thought the chooks had made a rather deep depression as they like to dust bathe in the garden, but on closer inspection I realised that some furry little critter has made itself at home right under our noses.

 I love cute, little, furry bunnies as much as anyone else BUT!! 



Now bunnies are not known for their cleverness.....just look at Peter, prime example....yes?
But this bunny must have  a death wish as this is one puddy tat
who won't put up with wabbits living on his patch...

So be warned bunnies!!

 And tigger lift your game!!

The burrow is to the left of the window




There's a busy week ahead of me and I'm sure the days will   merge into each other.

I'm finally packing up my Janome and all my sewing bits and bobs. The house has never looked so tidy, hehe.........

There are lists being made of things to do before I go and things to pack and take away with me.
Thankyou for all your suggestions of portable, crafty things to do whilst travelling...

I hope you have had a wonderful weekend, I would love to know what you've all been up to.
Any surprises?...

Thanks for visiting and take care,

Claire X
   



16 comments:

  1. Hi Claire, just catching up with your posts and exciting travel news :0)
    Love your spring pictures ....though I think I prefer your Autumn pictures as it means the days are getting longer here not shorter.
    Have a wonderful time in the U.S and take lots of pictures to share with us please.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such lovely flowers, they are so welcome after the winter! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy a good wander around your garden Claire. I love the markings on the Hellebore, I don't think I've seen that variety before. I'd love to know what it is as Hellebores do extremely well in my garden and seem to flower for such a long time which is very welcome in the days of a long winter.
    What a cheeky rabbit, that's just a little bit too close to home! Good luck with all your packing and finalising things before you head off to the Big Apple. Have a wonderful time and I'm looking forward to your tales and photos. Wishing No. 1 son all the best with his ventures.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pics Claire
    Have a great trip
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that Pear tree. So magnificent.
    The quice too, how lucky you are to have them!
    happy trails on your journey
    xx
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tigger looks alert and ready to defend the garden against all bunny comers....

    Spring is so exciting - what a lot of beautiful blossoms and growth is going on there! The pear and quince and hyacinths and jonquils are so beautiful.

    Have a wonderful trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so strange to see springtime photos when we're just approaching autumn here. The world is SUCH a big place! :-)
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. The photo of the pear tree with the hens under is lovely, and that hellebore is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots going on Claire! Kale is an amazing plant. We have only planted some in the last 2 seasons, and it just keeps on keeping on. I throw some into just about every meal and feel that it must be doing some good. You must be so busy at the moment planning for your trip. Take a big breath and smell the jonquils! cheers Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful flowers.. But the whole in the ground, just be mindful it may be a dragon burrow!! (I have been reading a lot of books of late and the theme seems to be dragons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - that tree is just beautiful Claire - looks like something from a fairy tale with the chooks underneath, hehe :) Your garden looks just amazing too!

    Happy packing :D
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Claire,

    I had almost forgotten it is spring in your part of the world. In Holland summer is slowly coming to an end. The photo's of your garden look lovely. I am off to buy some spring bulbs tomorrow, tu put in my garden :-)

    Happy day!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am loving all your Spring colour......guess you are nearly ready to head off..by the time you come back Spring will be in full swing. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh! dear somebody warn the bunny!!! Your cat certainly looks as if he would spare no quarter...yikes!
    Of course spring is on its way over there...I do so love spring and your garden is looking splendid.

    How exciting you'll be off and away on your holiday very soon...New York wow!!!

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete

Life's busy isn't it?......thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.
I love hearing from you and will reply via email unless you are set up as a
'no reply blog'
in which case I will reply here on the comments page...♥

Thankyou xx